Get ready to make Carrot and Lentil Soup A delicious, spicy blend, packed full of iron and low fat to boot. It’s ready in under half an hour or can be made in a slow cooker.
Carrot and Lentil Soup Recipes
- 1⁄2lb red lentil
- 2pints chicken stock or 2 pints vegetable stock or 2 pints water
- 1⁄2large onion, chopped
- 3garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2teaspoon paprika
- 1bay leaf
- 3medium carrots
- 1small sweet red pepper
- 1red onion, thinly sliced
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 -2tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan set over high heat, bring lentils and stock/water to a boil.
- Skim off froth.
- Stir in chopped onion, garlic, seasonings and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered.
- Dice carrots and red pepper. Stir into soup.
- Continue simmering, covered, until carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Lentils in soup will need a total of about 20 minutes to cook.
- Stir in red onion, coriander, lemon juice and pepper.
- Remove bay leaf. Liquidise if required.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered, up to 3 days or freeze.